I was pretty much just decompressing all day, but I did get some of the work I was thinking of done.
Basically, I want to investigate using the current release of MOTR with the hobby projects that it's supposed to help with. This would be a bad idea if I were writing one motrfile per project.
Which is why my plan is to write the motrfile once in a pijul repository, and then merge that repository into other repositories. The idea is that the functional changes to the code should be entirely orthogonal to the updates I make to the motrfile, so the patches should be completely independent.
Here's how things look for my plans:
- Re-implement the MOTR motrfile, but using the lessons I learned writing the higher-level interface, so it's a bit more flexible.
- Redo my virtual tabletop project, with a focus first on simpler code, and next on making sure I'm comfortable with what I'm uploading, from a perspective of licensing/fair use. (Nobody reached out to me about this, and I assume nobody knew.) (I may look into aggressively factoring out textual content into external data files that aren't part of the repo. This is more than I think I need to do for some, and seems reasonable for others.)
- Make sure the file is reusable by trying it out with stuff like my attempt at Cryptopals.
- Find other projects to mess with, now that the main obstacle to using MOTR is hopefully dealt with. (I'm using MOTR instead of Nox because MOTR is, for obvious reasons, better conformed to my mental model for how this stuff "should" work, and also it should be faster.)
The basic goal here is to get around feeling like any Python work I do "has to" be for MOTR. It will make sense to keep working on it, because I want to make it easier to edit the motrfile, but writing it once should be okay, I hope.
Anyway, it's way too late right now.