I can't tell if I'm feeling any better or not. Anyway, since I did a decent amount of worldbuilding (nowhere near done, though), I decided to focus on actually getting the language that inspired literally all of this into a decent state. Right now, I'm trying to shore up the basics of it, figure out stuff I missed. Here's what I'm seeing so far:
- I have a list of most phonemes, but it's missing some phones that arise from interaction between phonemes.
- The relevant interactions aren't fully documented, because I essentially slammed the phonologies of two (technically three) languages together, in a way that turns out to create possibly-novel interactions.
- I haven't properly documented which combinations of sounds are disallowed, and what repair strategies they'll get.
I'm going to have to get really good about writing this down. I don't think any of the rules I need to formalize are complicated on their own, but there are a lot of them.
Anyway, I'm not going to get that done now, so I'm going to need to remember to do that later.