Thoughts on what I'd like to look at first in a reference grammar:
- The orthography used in the grammar
- Phonotactics, focusing at first on pronunciation changes that are implicit in the orthography
- Basic sentences and glosses
- Sentences and glosses embedded in a narrative context; basically, I want glosses where there's a motivation to say a sentence like "The girl brings a book to the elder." or whatever.
- My idea here is "quickly get a sense of how it sounds"
Some of this might not live in a grammar. I'm not sure.
Anyway, there's a lot more to cover, and stuff that needs to be worked out to get these, like morphology.
I think these give me a good baseline to work towards.
I'm tired and I divided my attention, so it's once again a quick entry. Oh well.