Today we watched Them!, which is some pretty good 50s schlock. Maybe we should see what else is out there in terms of movies named after pronouns.
Anyway, I later tried some more to adapt Ink's code, and I'm now heavily suspecting that I'm going to need to try prototyping something that follows the very high-level interface, and work with that a bit until it makes sense to me, because I don't really use programming languages that treat field access like C# does.
I'll try and sketch out some of the ideas I have here.
At a very abstract level, a Story can be serialized or deserialized. It can be in a state where it can produce lines of text, or choices, or it can be ready to follow a choice.
Now, following a choice will add lines of text. (Last I checked, in the reference implementation, none of the text is saved, so procedural text gets regenerated. I'll check that now. Yep, still a footgun.)
I'm going to sketch some of this on paper.
Okay, I've got a very informal state machine diagram that represents an extremely opinionated system without many external capabilities. Seems like a good target for prototyping.
And now I've got a separate file for prototyping this stuff, and it's got some code in it.
I guess the next thing to work on is the serialization and deserialization, because it's not really an implementation of Ink if it can't work with the save format.
Although... I also need to change around the interface to reflect the different responsibilities I'm giving different parts of the system.