No drawing today because I just didn't feel like it this weekend. I'm getting really excited by all the work I've got done on Dennis. Things are blurring together a little, but going by the items checked off on my to-do list today, I:
- Did some fundamental updates to the way the core game-step logic works
- Consolidated the rendering code into a single (admittedly somewhat janky) class
- Added several commands
- Extended the GameMap component
- Added stairs sprites, components, commands
The main thing I need to move onto the other half of part 11 is to add the dungeon level display to the rendering. The thing that's holding me back from that is the sense that there's more refactoring to be done that would make this more natural somehow. If I can't figure it out by the end of the day tomorrow, I'll just push through. I've got the feeling that I "should be" able to come up with some kind of abstraction like a scene graph, probably precalculate most of the layout because it probably shouldn't be dynamic.
I also, um, have not actually spun up the game in a while. I mean, every time I add a component, it breaks the save format because I don't want to go to the trouble of writing deserializers for a format that only existed for a few days. Pretty sure this is laziness, but I still feel justified.
Other stuff I did today: shuffle around accounts in my fedi client, queue up some other sites to look into getting accounts for later. When I figure out what's what, I'll update my footer, which will be a fun site update. (Cue briefly forgetting where that part of the footer is even defined.) (It's in my pelicanconf.py.)
Anyway, the buried lede on all of this is that through the simple measure of "writing down when I finished a thing", I can later look up when I finished the thing, so todo.txt is paying some serious dividends at this point.
Definitely will try to rearrange things some next week, scheduling-wise.