I took care of the first bullet point from earlier, and now I want to cut a new release. This turns out to be harder than it should be, so I'm going to try to document all of the steps in an attempt to get it all to make sense.
So, I need to get a bunch of things done in the right order, which I haven't fully figured out.
- The release tag needs to be updated. Right now, I want this to be the last thing I do before I build the release. I appear to have forgotten to do this at least once.
- I need to update the version field in the __init__.py.
- I need to run towncrier build. I'm having troubles with this giving me the wrong version, so I need to look into how that works.
- flit build and flit publish. I need to look up how to store my credentials for the publish step.
For the flit thing, I just installed keyring, and hopefully that will help. Now, let's take a look at how towncrier works... Okay, because I'm running MOTR on itself, I guess the sequence is:
- Update the version field.
- Install the newest version (because towncrier is doing an import in preference to inspecting the filesystem).
- Run towncrier.
- Tag the release.
- Run flit.
Let's try that. I've already updated, so let's see...
hg st... Clean.
pip install . Worked.
towncrier build Worked as desired.
hg tag v0.1.4 Something would have been pretty wrong if that failed.
flit build All set.
flit publish And keyring worked, so that'll be convenient.
Well, then. That's too many steps. And I didn't even realize I was supposed to do one of them. Let's try to fill it all in...
- nvim src/motr/_init__.py Needs something better
- hg commit
- pip install .
- towncrier build --yes
- hg commit
- hg tag v<tag>
- flit build
- flit publish
Right now, I'm not sure how I want to consolidate all that together, so I'm going to put that off until tomorrow. For now, I'm going to install flake8-docstrings and see what kind of carnage that unleashes. 180 violations. Sounds about right.
I'll publish this post, and then try to fix some of these violations.